Tuesday, April 21, 2020

I have many good things in my life...quotes from Tim Keller

"I have many good things in my life - family, work, spiritual disciplines, etc. But none of these good things are ultimate things to me. None of them are things I absolutely have to have [replacing Jesus], so there is a limit to how much anxiety, bitterness, and despondency they can inflict on me when they are threatened and lost."

"My identity and self-worth are centered on the one who died for His enemies, who was excluded from the city for me. I am saved by sheer grace. So I can't look down on those who believe or practice something different from me. Only by grace I am what I am. I've no inner need to win arguments."

"My self-view is not based on a view of my self as a moral achiever. In Christ I am simul iustus et peccator- simultaneously sinful and lost yet accepted in Christ. I am so bad he had to die for me and I am so loved he was glad to die for me. This leads me to deeper and deeper  humility and confidence at the same time. Neither swaggering or sniveling."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What does "refuge" mean to you?

What does "refuge" mean to you?
Assimilating Refugees